Not all relationships work. And for most, divorce is the only way out. There are instances that the idea of getting a divorce is a mutual decision, but for some, it’s not. If you think that you need to know more about divorce and understand its different types, then this article is for you. The information you find below is what you need before you hire divorce lawyer singapore.
Everything to Know About the Divorce
The divorce process allows a couple to stay legally separated. There are different methods available for spouses to reach this goal so that the judge would issue an absolute divorce. It is a standard practice for the law to label these methods to different kinds of divorce.
- The Summary Divorce. This type of divorce is an expedited procedure for couples who have been married for less than five years. Summary or “simplified” divorce is also an option for those who do not own that many properties and debts and don’t have any children. To be able to file for a summary divorce, both spouses need to agree to it.
- Uncontested Divorce. For couples who do not want to deal with the stress brought about by the divorce, the uncontested option is the way to go. This is where spouses set up-front their differences on custody and visitation, child support, division of property, and alimony. The terms of the settlement will then be penned down to what is referred to as the ‘separation agreement.’
- Default Divorce. This is the option when the spouse filed for divorce and the other spouse does not respond. So if you have complied with the rules and regulations of the court and your spouse failed to participate in the court proceedings, the judge can grant the divorce.
- Contested Divorce. If both parties could not agree on a solution on the marital issues that you are dealing with, then the judge can decide for you instead. This is what is a contested divorce is all about. In this case, you will need an expert divorce lawyer to assist you.
Alternative Dispute Resolution.
The assistance referred to as the ‘alternative dispute resolution” methods that will try and resolve the differences between couples is offered first before a divorce is filed. It is crucial that you know each type to understand the processes.
- Mediated Divorce. One of these methods is divorce mediation. The mediators will only offer you guidance and also help you communicate with each other and not to make decisions on your behalf.
- Collaborative Divorce. This is when couples work with lawyers who are experts in settling this type of divorce. The spouses are hiring their own lawyers to work with cooperatively in order to try and settle the case. Also, each spouse will have to agree to disclose all information needed for negotiations to reach a settlement.
- Divorce Arbitration. The most similar to a trial where the arbitrator makes the decision on certain marital issues. The benefit of this option is that it is conducted informally, thus, it is less intimidating.
Divorce is not easy to get through with. That is why it is crucial that you understand each type to know what you are dealing with. Also, working with a divorce lawyer is crucial to ensure that you get a fair judgement.